So, this post is about something that is very near and dear to my heart! What am I talkin' bout, Willis? AVOCADOS!!! Oh yes, yes I did :) Why do I love them so? Here's why...
According to the Paleo Foundation:
1. An avocado has more potassium than a banana! A single avocado has 975 milligrams of potassium, while a banana only weighs in at 487 milligrams of potassium. OMG. So good for you!
2. Avocados are a high-protein fruit. One avocado contains about four grams of protein. Hells yeah!
3. You can use them in recipes as a butter substitute! The healthy fats are a good baking substitution.
4. They have antioxidants, amino acids and essential oils that can help repair damaged hair, moisturize the skin, treat sunburns and minimize wrinkles! Yowza.
Other reasons to love this amazing fruit:
1. One cup of sliced avocado has ten grams of dietary fiber! Ten! That's almost half of the daily intake of dietary fiber recommended for adult women (25 grams) by the American Heart Association. This high-fiber fruit will also help if you have any constipation issues.
2. They taste frickin' amazing! They can be put on toast, in salads, made into guacamole, used in baked goods, made into a healthy cooking oil (I use Primal Kitchen avocado oil), and as it turns out, they make for some pretty sweet art! Check out this beauty:
|Art by Gaku|
3. Avocados contain twelve grams of carbs, so yeah, you don't have to eat a bunch of processed grains to get some of your carbs on, peeps! Word.
4. Avocados also contain Vitamin C, Vitamin B-6 and a little bit of Magnesium, which is something that many of us are lacking!
5. Avocados contain twenty-one grams of fat..the healthy kind of course! They are heart-healthy and good for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels.
So, have I given you enough reasons to consume these beautiful green gems on a regular basis? I sure hope so! I eat a small avocado every day. Yes, every day. Usually in a salad.
And hey hey, check out my new mug from FoxyMug!
|Pretty much sums it up!|
What's an avocado blog without a nice AIP (autoimmune paleo) guacamole recipe? Mmm mmm! The recipe comes from Whole New Mom and contains no dairy or nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, etc.). Goes great with some Siete grain-free tortilla chips! Another good option for chips if you can't have chia seeds (found in Siete), I recommend Cassava Crunch chips (can be found at select health food stores or online). I actually made a how-to video on this guac recipe, but I couldn't get it to upload on Blogger :( #fail However, you can find the video on my new Facebook page: Austin Paleo Grrl
Lastly, I got this cute magnet in the mail today (freebie!) from the friendly folks at Food Matters. They have a great blog, recipes, and some awesome films about food, health and personal well-being. Food is medicine!
So that about wraps it up for this post! Hopefully I've convinced you to eat more avocados :) *evil laugh*
Updates: I've been under the weather for the past few days, so I am on the mend right now. I'm having a lot of issues with coughing and a sore throat. I went to urgent care a few days ago, but the nurse practitioner said it's probably just a virus that needs to clear itself out. I've been drinking bone broth with garlic, using essential oils, elderberry syrup, even resorting to Mucinex, which is no bueno for me. Hope to be feeling better within the next few days. We shall see! Send some good vibes my way, k? :)
Also, as I mentioned above, Austin Paleo Grrl now has an official Facebook page! Ch-ch-check it out here.
PS: Please leave a girl some feedback! I want to know your thoughts/opinions (good or bad) on the blog!
Anyway, take care and be well, my Paleo peeps!